Monday, March 18, 2013

Update #1 regarding the New Method learning handbook

photo

I'm excited, folks. The handbook is coming along really well. I have a detailed outline of all the content: every chapter, section, lesson, and project. I've written the first two introductory chapters that cover lots of foundational instructions as well as guides for how to use the handbook and what to expect. Read more about the scope and purpose of the handbook.

But the content of the handbook is only part of the cause for my excitement over this project.

Feedback has been excellent. Every beginner web developer I've talked to recognizes the problem of attempting to learn web development online on your own. It's apparent to any adult who's tried to teach themselves web development.



Feedback from other leaders in the "learn web development online" space has been positive, too. I've talked to two companies that produce products that teach web development online and both have echoed the need for this type of resource/tool. I can't tell you how thrilling it was to hear that from people who've been thinking critically in this space for several years.

No tunnel vision


I'm using the experience of teaching a couple students myself to guide the structure and direction of the handbook. Whenever you enter a project, you'll always make assumptions about how the project should progress and what the end result should be. However, it's best to avoid tunnel vision on your original idea and allow experience, feedback, and failure to inform your project as it's built. That's how I'm trying to approach this project as well.

Break it down


Finally, I've decided to break the handbook into smaller booklets, focusing on disciplines rather than the grand scope of "web developer." For example, the first booklet will help students learn the skills to be a web designer or front-end developer (whichever you'd like to call it). The second booklet will progress toward back-end development. The third booklet will be full of ready-to-build projects that are meant to help you gain experience and build a portfolio.

I have plans for other small booklets, but the general idea is to make each booklet digestible, reduce the intimidation factor when starting on a new discipline, and make the price barrier of getting started less of a factor. Since the hardest part of accomplishing anything is getting started, I want to lower that bar as far as possible.

Remember, if you want to signup to hear when each of the handbook booklets launch, drop me your email.

No comments:

Post a Comment